OFFER – Position in scientific computing at the Basque Resource for Electron Microscopy Publication date: November 17, 2021
The Basque Resource for Electron Microscopy (BREM) of the Fundación Biofísica Bizkaia and the Biofisika Institute (www.biofisika.org) in Bilbao (Basque Country in Spain) invites applications for a job in scientific computing. Candidates must hold a degree in Computing, Engineering, Science or equivalent subject.
BREM is a newly formed resource for high-resolution cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) that houses a ThermoFisher Krios G4 cryo-electron microscope, equipped with a phase plate and Gatan´s BioContinuum Imaging Filter and K3 direct electron detector. BREM is part of the Biofisika Institute, a joint research center of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) and the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). In close partnership with the Fundación Biofísica Bizkaia, the center focuses on fundamental and translational biophysics research and offers a highly collaborative culture. Accredited as a Basque Excellence Research Centre (BERC), the Biofisika Institute provides outstanding shared facilities for advanced biophysical and structural biology approaches in a new research building in the main Leioa campus of the UPV/EHU.
Description of the project and position offered
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting high-performance computing infrastructure including management of large data storage and processing clusters dedicated to electron microscopy. Ideally, the candidate will also assist in the processing of single particle cryo-EM and cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) data.
Education and Experience Required
Essential qualifications of the successful candidate include:
- Experience of administering and supporting Linux and Unix systems.
- Experience of administering and using high-performance computing clusters and cluster-based storage systems.
- Competence in shell scripting (Linux/Windows).
- Fluency in at least two computing languages (C++, Matlab, CUDA, OpenCL, Python).
- Working experience in an IT support, academic or research environment.
- Able to work under pressure, ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
Desirable qualifications of the successful candidate include:
- Proficiency in single particle cryo-EM image processing and 3D reconstruction.
- Proficiency in cryo-ET data processing.
Deadline: until the position is filled * Please note that due to the large number of applicants expected, it will not be possible to communicate the evaluation results to all the candidates.
Las personas interesadas deben enviar su CV a firstname.lastname@example.org, indicando en el asunto la REF de la oferta.